Frequently asked questions
1. Requirements for using Labster
Don't Edit this!
Update your web browser to the latest version
Check that your web browser is the latest version with the guides below:
Update your computer operating system to the latest version
Check that your operating system is the latest version with the guides below:
- Click the App Store icon.
- Click the Updates tab.
- If any updates to the system are required, they will appear on the list.
- After updating, please restart your system before entering the lab again.
- Open Windows Update by clicking on the Start button – All Programs, and then Windows Update.
- In the left pane, click Check for Updates, and then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your computer.
- If any updates are found, click Install updates.
Clear your browser history, cache, and cookies
How to clear your browser history, cache, and cookies
- Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/delete-cookies-remove-info-websites-stored
- Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95582?hl=en
- Opera: http://help.opera.com/Windows/12.10/en/deleteprivate.html
- iOS 8 or later, tap Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data.
- iOS 7 or earlier, tap Clear History and tap Clear Cookies and Data.
Minimum System Requirements
The following are the minimum specifications for running Labster:
- Processor: Dual core 2 GHz or higher
- Memory: 4 GB or more
- Graphic card: Intel HD 3000 / GeForce 6800 GT / Radeon X700 or higher
- OS: Windows or Mac OS
- Supported browsers: Latest versions of Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and Opera
2. Frequently asked questions
Don't edit this
I am stuck at a certain part of the simulation
If you are not sure what to do in certain part of the simulation, click on the Labpad and carefully re-read the description. Ensure that you have followed all the Labpad instructions properly.
If you find out that you have done the steps incorrectly, you can repeat it by exiting from the simulation and clicking the “Continue from save game” button. Please ensure that the incorrect steps have been taken after the last save-point.
A button, image, or other element in the game is missing
We continually improve our virtual simulations, which in odd instances may prevent loading of elements.
To resolve this issue, please clear your browser cache.
- Please visit Firefox Support to learn how to clear you Firefox cache.
- Please visit Google Chrome Support to learn how to clear your chrome cache.
- Please visit Safari support to learn how to clear your Safari cache.
- Please visit Opera support to learn how to clear your Opera cache.
Once you have cleared your browser cache, please restart the simulation by clicking “Exit Lab” button, and then click on “Restart from beginning” or “Enter the Lab” button.
The “View theory“ button only shows a black screen
To resolve this issue, deactivate any pop up blocker, firewall, and anti virus. After that, reload the virtual lab, and test that the “View theory” button works. Contact support if the issue persists.
How can I check that I completed the simulation, and that my score has been saved?
When you complete the simulation, please notice on the final screen the message saying your progress and score has been saved: “Congratulations! You have just completed the simulation. Your results will be saved showing the 100% completion”.
You will also notice a 100% completion mark in the upper right corner of the lab pad.
Additionally, you can enter your personal Student Dashboard to track your progress through the simulations. In order to do this please follow the instructions listed below:
1. Sign in to your Labster account.
2. Press the “view course” button for the course you need information on.
3. Go to “Courseware”.
4. In the left panel select ‘Dashboard’.
How to enter a simulation
Please follow these steps in order to enter a simulation:
- Sign in to your Labster account
- Click on the ‘View Course’ button for the particular course you are enrolled in.
- Now press the ‘Go to courseware’ button.
- On the left hand side of the screen, expand the subsection containing the simulation you want to play.
- Click ‘Play simulation’
I do not see any simulations listed on the courseware page, after my Course instructor has granted me access
The most common reason for having this issue is that you have not used the exact same email address to sign up to Labster with, as the one your course instructor used to grant you access with.
Getting access to Labster’s simulation is done by connecting your email address to the teacher’s account. Therefore, please make sure to use this very same email address, when signing up.
Also, Please be aware that you will not be able to see any simulations in your courseware, before your course instructor has granted you access.
I have forgotten my password and username
In case you should have forgotten your password, you can easily reset it by clicking the ‘forgot password’ button on the login screen. Please reset the password using the same email address you used to sign up to Labster with.
Should you have forgotten the email you used to sign up with, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide a list of possible email addresses and/or usernames you may have used. We will then be able to assist you with the correct account information.
How do I exit the simulation?
You can at anytime during your simulation progression exit the simulation by pressing the ESC key, which is usually located in the upper left corner of the keyboard.
However, please check that your game has been saved before exiting. You can find more info on this in the FAQ section titled: Will the simulation automatically save periodically?
The simulation will not load, or nothing happens when pressing the start button
Loading Time: Depending on your computer and internet speed the simulation will take up to five minutes to load. The simulation may pause several times during the loading process at 0,00%, 25,00%, or 99,99% this is normal. Please wait a few seconds and the loading will begin again.
If the loading does not continue please ensure that your browser and computer operating system are up to date. Please see the questions above on how to handle this.
Also, please make sure to close all other browser tabs, and ensure that you only open one lab at a time in your browser.
How are scores in the simulations calculated?
Each simulation has a different number of questions, therefore the maximum scores can range from 150 to 400 depending on the simulation. It is necessary to answer each question in the simulation correctly before being able to move to the next step.
The number of points received per question is calculated in the following way:
- Question is answered correctly 1st time: 10 points.
- Question answered correctly 2nd time (1 wrong answer): 8 points.
- Question answered correctly 3rd time (2 wrong answers): 6 points.
- Question answered correctly 4th time (3 wrong answers): 4 points.
- Question answered correctly 5th time (4 wrong answers): 2 points.
2 points is the lowest amount of points that can be received per question, regardless of how many attempts are taken.
If a student starts a lab and then exits the lab and later on continue the lab, will this register as one attempt or two separate attempts?
Doing this will only count as one single attempt.
Payment link issues
If you are having issues with the payment link provided to you, please ensure that pop-up windows are allowed in your browser. For information on how to do this depending on the browser you are using, please see below:
1. In the Safari menu select ‘preferences’.
2. Click the security tab.
3. Make sure to uncheck the tab called ‘block pop-up windows’.
After you have successfully made the payment you can enable pop-ups again.
Please review the Labster Teacher Guide which explains all features including:
- Review students grades
- Enroll students in labs
- Schedule when students are able to play the labs
- Student account features
Students are unable to see their course?
If no one is able to see the course please ensure that the email address used to login into the teacher account is found under the Student List Management section of the enrollment tab. If this email has been removed please enroll this email address again and the student course will reappear.
If individual students are missing their course, the most common reason is that the students did not use the exact same email address to sign up to Labster with, as the one they were enrolled to Labster with.
Getting access to Labster’s simulations is done by connecting the students’ email addresses to your teacher account. Therefore, please make sure to use these very same email addresses, when signing up.