Cell Culture Basics – Transfection Virtual Lab
About the Cell Culture Basics - Transfection Virtual Lab Simulation
In the Cell Culture Basics – Transfection simulation, you will transfect a melanoma cell line using a lipid-based reagent in order to overexpress a gene that is involved in skin cancer. You will prepare the cells and reagents and use a DNA plasmid carrying the green fluorescent protein as reporter.
Will you be able to create fluorescent cells?
Get Started Now
Techniques In Lab
- Cell culture
- Cell transfection
- Fluorescence microscopy
At the end of this simulation, you will be able to…
- Explain the advantages of using lipidbased transfection methods
- Design a transfection experiment:
- Select the right transfection strategy
- Correctly use controls
- Describe and perform the key steps for transfecting mammalian cells using Lipofectamine 3000:
- Prepare cells to achieve highest transfection efficiency (number of passage, percentage of confluence)
- Prepare reagents (storing, handling, complexation time, incubation time)
- Explain the molecular mechanism of lipidbased transfection
- Troubleshoot poor transfection efficiency outcomes
Screenshots of Cell Culture Basics - Transfection Virtual Lab Simulation
How it works
A million dollar lab in your browser
Perform experiments in virtual lab simulations to achieve core science learning outcomes.
All our simulations run on laptop and desktop computers, and you can play our simulations without having to install any browser plugins.
Hundreds of hours of science learning content
Our virtual laboratory simulations are aimed at university, college and high school level, within fields such as biology, biochemistry, genetics, biotechnology, chemistry, physics and more.
With access to our simulations, you will have hundreds of hours of engaging, high-quality learning content available to you.