This guide is designed to help students (and parents) use virtual labs and the Labster platform, from “what is Labster” to on-demand student support. This guide has everything a student needs to gain confidence in using science simulations. In the video below, learn how Labster helped student Kazanne feel ready for her career in dental hygiene.
Chapter 1: Welcome to Labster!
Welcome to Labster! We’re happy to help you grow your knowledge and enhance your comprehension in the science lab. Use the resources listed below in Chapter 1 for a quick introduction to virtual labs.
- What is Labster? video - 1:30-minute video overview of Labster described by our team members. An ideal introduction video for students and parents
- Welcome to Labster - Simple Student Guide video - 2-minute video overview of what to expect when using virtual simulations for the first time
Chapter 2: Tips for the Best Labster Experience
Using Labster is easy, but you need to make sure your device is ready to run a simulation. In Chapter 2, our product team shares useful tips to help prevent loading and performance issues.
- Close unused window tabs
- Make sure your device is plugged in or fully charged
- Check that your device can run Labster simulations by confirming it meets our device and internet speed specifications
- Remember! When launching a simulation, loading will pause if you jump to another tab. Please stay on the loading screen until your simulation is ready to play
For the best user experience on Chromebooks or iPads, consider downloading the Labster app:
(at this time iPads do not support Canvas, Schoology, Brightspace D2L, Sakai)
Chapter 3: Student Troubleshooting and Support
Labster has a dedicated Help Center for students so you can search for your solution or speak with a live representative without asking your teacher for help. Use these support features if you are stuck.
- Student Help Center - Search our help articles for common troubleshooting answers
- Live chat - Located on Labster.com by either clicking “LIVE CHAT” in the top right corner of the navigation bar or by clicking the chat icon at the bottom right corner to expand our chatbot window. Learn more about all our live support services here
- Loading difficulties - Depending on your computer and internet speeds, the simulation might take up to five minutes to load. Otherwise, this link will help you troubleshoot common loading difficulties
Chapter 4: Accessibility
Our team at Labster is committed to providing educational material that engages and benefits all learners. In Chapter 4, you'll learn how Labster follows accessibility-aware guidelines for new product initiatives, prioritizes quality assurance and user testing at each step of development, and regularly updates and improves our released products to meet new accessibility guidelines.
- How to play a simulation in accessibility mode - These accessibility features include keyboard navigation, screen reader, and resizable text
- Learn more about accessibility here
Chapter 5: Commonly Asked Student Questions
Science is all about asking questions, and we've compiled our most popular student questions in Chapter 5. Let us point you in the right direction with easy to read Help Center articles.
- What to do when you’re stuck in a simulation:
a. Your simulation is not frozen, but you are confused on next steps
b. When you freeze on the teleporting screen
c. All other basic trouble shooting tips for frozen simulations
- Loading is stuck for more than 5 minutes at the same progress, what do I do? Lack of free memory is usually the issue - restart your computer
- Can I pause and save my simulation? Yes! At any time during the lab, you can pause and resume. Learn more
- How can I access my student dashboard? The student dashboard is your ally in tracking your scores, progress, and attempts with Labster! Learn more
- How is my score calculated? Your student dashboard displays progress and scores. Learn how scores are calculated here
- How do I purchase access to Labster? Your institution may have asked you to purchase access to Labster, learn how here
- How do I contact Labster for support? Please see Chapter 3: Student Troubleshooting and Support