Introduction to Echocardiography: Use different projections to diagnose patients
About Introduction to Echocardiography: Use different projections to diagnose patients Virtual Lab Simulation
Welcome to the Labster cardiology training facility! In this simulation, you will learn how to perform cardiac ultrasound using different modes and views. After practicing on a virtual heart, you will also evaluate cardiac function on a patient.
Use a giant virtual heart to practice Doppler ultrasound imaging
In our virtual training facility, we have a giant heart to practice the many different ultrasound transducer positions and angles that need to be mastered to correctly visualize and identify cardiac structures. It takes a lot of practice and sometimes small differences can make a difference when it comes to diagnosing abnormalities! In this simulation, you can repeat this training as much as you would like to familiarize yourself with normal cardiac structures, where the transducer needs to be placed, and at what angle to obtain the desired views.
Perform cardiac ultrasound on a patient
After your practice, you can choose to dust off your knowledge of ultrasound physics to better understand the technique and its different modes. Alternatively, you can also skip this lesson and immediately proceed to meet your patient, Mr. Johansson, a 50-year-old male who was referred here for an echocardiography examination. He presents symptoms of previous pain in the left arm and possibly in the chest, which he thought had to do with bad ergonomy at office work, being left-handed and working a lot on a computer. However, a physical exam from his physician revealed a systolic murmur in the stethoscope.
To get to the bottom of Mr. Johansson’s case and help inform his doctor, you will have to obtain the different ultrasound projections you practiced, as well as make some measurements and observations. Dr. One will be there to help you out, save your images and make notes of all the data.
Analyze the data and diagnose the patient
At the end of this very thorough examination, you will have access to all the images, videos and measurements that you performed on the patient, as well as on the practice healthy heart. By understanding and comparing all the information you have now gathered, will you be able to correctly diagnose the patient?
Get Started Now
Techniques In Lab
- Color Doppler
- Pulsed-wave Doppler
- Continuous-wave Doppler
- Tissue Doppler
At the end of this simulation, you will be able to…
- Distinguish and apply the different projections used in a basic echocardiography examination, as well as where the transducer is placed to obtain them.
- Relate the position and angle of the transducer as well as direction of its indicator to certain projections.
- Identify anatomical landmarks in the different projections.
- Approach a patient with respect and confirm that it is the correct person (checking ID)
- Understand the physics behind Doppler and how and when to apply it correctly.
- Understand how and when to apply M-mode.
- Understand and evaluate the most common measurements used for evaluation of left and right ventricular systolic function.
- Understand and evaluate the most common measurements used for evaluation of left ventricular diastolic function.
- Assess heart chamber dimensions (left and right ventricles, left and right atria, aortic root, vena cava, valvular function) and recognize what makes a case normal.
Screenshots of Introduction to Echocardiography: Use different projections to diagnose patients Virtual Lab Simulation
How it works
A million dollar lab in your browser
Perform experiments in virtual lab simulations to achieve core science learning outcomes.
All our simulations run on laptop and desktop computers, and you can play our simulations without having to install any browser plugins.
Hundreds of hours of science learning content
Our virtual laboratory simulations are aimed at university, college and high school level, within fields such as biology, biochemistry, genetics, biotechnology, chemistry, physics and more.
With access to our simulations, you will have hundreds of hours of engaging, high-quality learning content available to you.