Introduction to Immunology: Explore the immune system and save the world!
About Introduction to Immunology: Explore the immune system and save the world! Virtual Lab Simulation
Have you ever wondered what infections look like from the pathogen’s perspective? If our immune systems are so amazing, why do we get sick at all? During this simulation, you’ll undertake a series of challenges in preparation for an important global health investigation. Can you complete each task and add to the planet’s immunological understanding?
Exploring the immune system
The immune system is a complex army of cells and tissues that work together to protect your body from infection. In this simulation, you’ll play the part of a pathogen and try to establish an infectious colony within a human body. As the immune system fights back, you will gain a unique perspective on how immune cells work to destroy incoming pathogens. Will you manage to evade the different immune responses and colonize the body?
Placing individual immunity in a global health context
By exploring data maps from pivotal moments in human history you will see how an individual’s immunological status contributes to the health of their community and the spread of disease worldwide. You’ll meet the key cells involved in immune memory and explore the role of immunization in protecting people from preventable diseases.
Investigating immunity using serological techniques
Researchers from around the world collaborate to give humanity the broadest possible understanding of pathogenicity, infection rates and the changing prevalence of diseases across the world. Confirming the immunization rates and the presence of new infection cases in local communities is vital to help allocate healthcare resources to populations worldwide. By undertaking your own serological investigation, you will contribute your data to the global immunological picture. How can you help healthcare professionals better protect communities around the world?
Get Started Now
Techniques In Lab
- Serological investigation
- Enzyme-linked immunoassay
By the end of this simulation, you will be able to…
- Discuss the fundamental need for the immune system
- Identify physical and chemical barriers against pathogen invasion
- Describe mechanisms of immune evasion by pathogens
- Predict the outcome of scenarios of immune deficiency
- Summarize the key features of innate and adaptive immune responses
- Describe antigen-antibody interactions
- Classify immune cell types by their role in responses
- Define immunological memory and its importance
- Explain the importance of lymphocyte clonal selection & deletion processes
- Explain the concept of diagnostic serology
- Identify common features and principles of serological methods
- Compare the applications for serological methods in biomedical research and healthcare
Screenshots of Introduction to Immunology: Explore the immune system and save the world!Virtual Lab Simulation
How it works
A million dollar lab in your browser
Perform experiments in virtual lab simulations to achieve core science learning outcomes.
All our simulations run on laptop and desktop computers, and you can play our simulations without having to install any browser plugins.
Hundreds of hours of science learning content
Our virtual laboratory simulations are aimed at university, college and high school level, within fields such as biology, biochemistry, genetics, biotechnology, chemistry, physics and more.
With access to our simulations, you will have hundreds of hours of engaging, high-quality learning content available to you.