Mitosis Virtual Lab
About the Mitosis Virtual Lab Simulation
In the Mitosis lab, you will be able to watch 3D animations and dive into a mammalian cell to learn about eukaryotic DNA packaging. You will perform a series of microscope examinations, light and fluorescent, to understand the stages of the cell cycle using mammalian cells and onion root tip cells. Both mitosis and meiosis are types of cell division. In this lab, you will learn the differences between them.
Learn about cyclins and cyclin-dependent kinases to understand how the cell cycle is regulated. You will experiment using various cellular parameters and observe the effect of each parameter in the progression of the cell cycle. What does the cell need to be able to divide correctly?
In the last part of the lab, you will test the effect of taxol on mammalian cells. From there, you will be able to conclude the effect that this plant poison has on cell division. Will the poison inhibit or accelerate cell division? How will this affect the survival of the organisms?
Get Started Now
Techniques In Lab
At the end of this simulation, you will be able to…
- Understand and visualize basic concepts about eukaryotic cells such as main cellular components and DNA packaging by immersive animations
- Understand the key characteristics of the cell cycle´s different stages: interphase (G1, S and G2) and mitosis
- Use different microscopy techniques to observe the phases of the mitosis and understand their main characteristics:
- Understand the cell cycle checkpoints and the molecules that control them (cyclins and cyclin-dependent kinases)
- Understand the main differences between mitosis and meiosis
Screenshots of Mitosis Virtual Lab Simulation
How it works
A million dollar lab in your browser
Perform experiments in virtual lab simulations to achieve core science learning outcomes.
All our simulations run on laptop and desktop computers, and you can play our simulations without having to install any browser plugins.
Hundreds of hours of science learning content
Our virtual laboratory simulations are aimed at university, college and high school level, within fields such as biology, biochemistry, genetics, biotechnology, chemistry, physics and more.
With access to our simulations, you will have hundreds of hours of engaging, high-quality learning content available to you.