Periodic Table (Principles): Get the table organized in time!
About the Periodic Table (Principles) Virtual Lab Simulation
This is the principles (high school) version of the simulation. For a more advanced version please see: “Periodic Table of Elements: Get the table organized in time!”
Light up the elements! In this simulation, you will learn all the fundamental ins and outs of the periodic table. Find out which elements have metallic characteristics, perform a flame test, and explore trends in atomic properties among the main groups and periods.
The periodic table is an amazing tool for getting an overview of all the elements in existence, even the elements that only exist when we create them ourselves. But the table in this virtual lab lab is broken; some of the elements have fallen out, and it’s your mission to figure out where they belong by investigating their characteristics and properties.
Flame color test and atomic properties
To sort the first few elements in the table you can observe their flame colors. You may need to use your knowledge about element classes as well to get the full overview.
There are surprisingly many atomic properties for which trends can be observed via the periodic table. Moving on to the virtual holo-table, you will investigate these trends and deduct how they behave when you move within and between periods and groups of the table. You will need this knowledge to assign the most tricky fallen-out elements.
Become the teacher
At the end of the simulation, a special visitor will be coming by the lab, and she needs you to help her understand the basics of the periodic table.
Will you be able to grasp the periodic table well enough to explain it to the visitor?
Get Started Now
Techniques In Lab
- Flame color test
At the end of this simulation, you will be able to…
- Describe the structure and organization of the periodic table
- Classify elements of a family based on their location in the periodic table
- Distinguish metals from other element classes based on typical characteristics
- Use the flame color test to identify metals based on their position in the periodic table
- Relate valence electrons and oxidation state of a main group element to its position in the periodic table
- Describe the main trends among groups and periods for atomic properties
- Explain the causes on the atomic level for the main trends among groups and periods concerning atomic radii, ionization energy and electronegativity
Screenshots of Periodic Table (Principles) Virtual Lab Simulation
How it works
A million dollar lab in your browser
Perform experiments in virtual lab simulations to achieve core science learning outcomes.
All our simulations run on laptop and desktop computers, and you can play our simulations without having to install any browser plugins.
Hundreds of hours of science learning content
Our virtual laboratory simulations are aimed at university, college and high school level, within fields such as biology, biochemistry, genetics, biotechnology, chemistry, physics and more.
With access to our simulations, you will have hundreds of hours of engaging, high-quality learning content available to you.